Friday 25 April 2008

Friday fun and games

Norm has tagged me for this random sentences game thingy. Here's what you have to do:

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you.

My nearest book: Fernando Pessoa's The Book of Disquiet. The sixth, seventh and eighth sentences on page 123 are:

The sensation that travel brings? I have it by going from Lisbon to Benfica, and have it more intensely than one who goes from Lisbon to China, because if the freedom isn't in me, then I won't have it no matter where I go. 'Any road,' said Carlyle, 'this simple Entepfuhl road, will lead you to the end of the World'.

My turn to tag. My five tag-ees (if this is their kind of thing - and as someone with a deep antipathy to chain letters and emails, I'll understand if it's not) are: Andrew, Bob, Roland, Paul and David.

Footnote: This is probably breaking the rules of the game, but what I found interesting about doing this is that my randomly-chosen three sentences make perfect sense on their own. But wrenched from their original context, they convey a very different meaning to that intended by the author. This is cheating, but here's the omitted ninth sentence:

But the Entepfuhl road, if it is followed all the way to the end, returns to Entepfuhl; so that Entepfuhl, where we already were, is the same end of the world we set out to find.

No comments: